B&B NETWORK ”STAYSOUTHCOAST”
A question often asked by owners of B&B and Self Catering establishments is “Why should I join?”
The answers are many and varied:
Members meetings are held on the 3rd Thursday of each month where there is usually a speaker of interest to members of the hospitality industry, updates on what is happening in Ugu South Coast Tourism, and discussions on the various topics current at the time.
COMBINED MARKETING: (Free to members)
* BROCHURE: A brochure containing a photograph and information on each member establishment is printed once or twice each year and distributed via members throughout South Africa and the world, via Tourism Info Centres and any exhibitions or shows we attend in conjunction with Ugu South Coast Tourism.
* WEB SITE: Members are entitled to a page on the www.staysouthcoast.co.za web site which is promoted through paid banners on major advertising web sites, links to other web sites and any other avenue we can utilize for minimum cost.
* WALL PLAQUE: On joining all members are given a wall plaque to display at their entrance indicating that they are an “Approved, Accredited Member of the B&B Network Stay South Coast”.
*FACEBOOK: Member establishments are regularly promoted on the B&B Network Stay South Coast Facebook page and members and public are encouraged to like and share these pages.
* A paid advertisement advertising the B&B Network has been taken on each of the Ugu South Coast Tourism Info-lapa’s. These are to be erected in 6 of the committee areas.
* A bill-board has been erected on the R102 in the grounds of Oslo Beach Lodge advertising the B&B Network.
* Discount vouchers for accommodation in a member establishment of the recipient’s choice have been issued to East Coast Radio as part of the Ugu South Coast Tourism marketing plan. These have also been put in random B&B Network brochures handed out at the Getaway Show in Cape Town, and will be distributed in other areas agreed to by the Committee. B&B Network reimburse the chosen establishment with the full amount of the discount. * Various other marketing avenues are explored as they become available.
* IN-HOUSE REFERRALS:
Any member who is unable to fullfill an enquiry will forward this to all the members via the secretary. Should any other member have suitable accommodation available it is up to them to contact the enquirer with their offer. This has proved to be extremely popular with potential guests and generates further traffic to our web site. * SUPPORT SYSTEM:
Although often in direct competition our members are all very good friends and offer a tremendous support system via e-mail, WhatsApp, telephone or personal visits. Need to borrow a baby cot or high chair? Ask the members. Need to know the best place to buy any item, or for guests to visit etc ? Ask the members. Have an enquiry regarding regulations or staff? Ask the members.
The B&B Network hold 3 or 4 social events during the year. These will normally involve experiencing other tourism ventures frequently at a reduced rate so that having experienced these personally we can recommend them to our guests. Some examples of this are visiting a Banana Farm/ Beaver Creek Coffee Estate/Christmas in July at different restaurants each year/braai at Lake Eland/Coffee at Oribi Gorge Hotel/Zip Line experience/ Whale watching/ visit to NSRI etc etc. Normally photographs and write-ups of these events are submitted to the local newspapers with the two-fold benefit of local awareness of the B&B Network and also our host.
UGU SOUTH COAST TOURISM
As the B&B Network are acknowledged as being professional representatives of the small accommodation industry on the South Coast we have been granted honorary Area Committee status within Ugu South Coast Tourism and afforded a non-voting seat on the Area Chairs’ Committee who meet with CEO every second month. This serves to inform our members of what is happening within Tourism, and for us to voice our concerns regarding various Tourism related issues. It is a constitutional requirement for all our members to also be members of Ugu South Coast Tourism. An unknown advantage to this membership is that Peak Season policing allocations depend on the number of beds registered in a Tourism area. We encourage all establishment owners to register with Tourism which will help to increase our policing allocations in Season.
HIBISCUS COAST MUNICIPALITY
We were directly responsible for having Municipal Rates for B&B’s lowered after Hibiscus Coast Municipality had increased these for accommodation establishments. During discussions they agreed that establishments with up to 6 bookable rooms would not be classified as commercial, but would remain as Residential. The Network also engaged with the HCM Town Planning Department to have self-catering acknowledged as a part of the LUMS and the necessary definitions were approved & adopted. Members of our committee are currently in discussions with Hibiscus Coast Municipality over the issuing of licenses to Self Catering establishments in an effort to ensure a reasonable standard of accommodation is offered by all licensed and recognized establishments in Hibiscus Coast and to encourage the return of our satisfied visitors.
MANAGEMENT: The B & B Network, Stay South Coast is managed by an executive committee of six members who are elected by the membership at each AGM. Their next question is “How do I join?
Further Requirements: Membership of Ugu South Coast Tourism: Proof of sufficient Public Liability Insurance:
Membership Fees: Joining fee R100.00 plus Membership Fees: R720.00 per annum Feb – Jan.